I love Mexican food. But like fellow vegetarians and vegans can attest, there is very little we can actually eat at Mexican restaurants. The beans aren’t vegetarian, and of course the cheese is not vegan.
This is why I love making Mexican food at home. I control the ingredients while getting to enjoy my favorite dishes!
Today I made vegan burritos. The recipe can also be used for tacos – just change the shell! And for my 6 year old son, Dominic, I made him a cheese burrito. He has a pretty bland palate right now, but I like to try to include him in the dishes rather than prepare something different. He loves it!
Vegan Burritos (4 people)
1 can vegetarian retried beans
1 bag frozen meatless ground beef
2 T olive oil
1 bag vegan cheddar cheese
1/4 C vegan sour cream
Hot sauce, optional
1 avocado, sliced
1 large tomato or 4 plum tomatoes
1 bag tortilla chips
1. In a pan, pour 1T olive oil and warm the ground ‘beef,’ according to package instructions.
2. In a small pot, pour the other 1T olive oil. Then add can of beans and 2T sour cream. (Helps give creamy texture). I also add a few dashes of hot sauce. Stir, and warm over low heat.
3. In the meantime, combine the diced avocado and tomato in a small bowl. Squeeze 1/2 lime over it and stir together. While guacamole can certainly be used, I love using the avocado and tomato so simplistically. The flavor is so light and fresh!
4. Warm a tortilla (preferably on the stove, but you can use the microwave). Place tortilla on plate. Down the middle, spread a big scoop of the retried beans. (AHHH I don’t measure 🙈). Cover with cheese (handful). Then scoop some ground ‘beef’ over the cheese. Finally, add another layer of the beans on top. Adding the extra layer of beans acts like glue for the tortilla, and helps keep the ‘beef’ in its place!
5. Roll the tortilla. Toppings are individualized. I like to top with a few sliced avocados, a scoop of sour cream, and some salsa.
5. Serve with some of the tomato/avocado salad and tortilla chips. Put all of the condiments in serving bowls on the table so each person can customize their burrito.